Welcome! This Blog is run by two amazing lady runners who don't fit into a box.

Chrys:
I am a runner who does NOT fit into the stereotypical body type of a runner. I have hips, a bum, thighs, and breasts. I jiggle all over the place no matter how much spandex I put on, and my gut usually hangs over my shorts. I work in the mental health field, and have a passion for inciting outrage regarding the media's portrayal of women, their bodies, and their abilities. I am a beautiful woman who sometimes struggles to remember it. I am a runner who sometimes feels more like a slogger.

And

Rachel:
I have the spirit of a runner inside me that just won't let me quit- no matter how much I sometimes would like to! Physically, I certainly have many of the things Chrys mentions up there- hips, thighs, bum, boobs, tummy, all of it- and Lord knows all of it likes to jiggle around while I do just about anything, especially running! I am passionate about body image, the Health at Every Size & Size Acceptance movements, and love finding inspiration in as many places as possible. Working as a therapist, one of my personal goals is to live as in-line with my values as I possibly can- this blog is one of the ways I figure all that out.

Join us on out adventures in running and ramblings on Body Image.

Monday, February 17, 2014

Why I Run Part III: Selfishness and the Krakens

Oatmeal Comic Response Part III: Selfishness and the Krakens

While I actually REALLY like paying bills (it's super strange, I know), I totally get this.  I ran 5 miles yesterday and almost 6 today.  This is why I am totally okay with the laundry being undone, the vacuuming undone, and the house in a general state of madness, as it already is.  Despite a significant lack of employment at this point in time.  But it's all good, because I RAN, BITCHES!!!!

This part of the comic also makes me immensely happy, as it reminds me of the feeling I had near the end of my very first half marathon when I turned the corner into the final stretch and SAW THE FINISH LINE!!!!  
One of my friends managed to catch a photo of me in that last stretch, and I can't believe the smile on my face.  It matches how I felt inside, but I am amazed my body even had the energy to use those facial muscles.  Man.  That feeling was AMAZING.  Months of training.  Pain.  Early Mornings.  Rain.  Heat.  Cold.  Dehydration.  Blisters.  Aching Joints.  They were ALL worth it.  They were all worth it and the joy and pride I felt was overwhelming when I saw that finish line and realized that yes - I WOULD actually finish.  I COULD actually do it.  THAT is the feeling that can keep me going.  

I felt the same thing when I crossed the finish line of my second half marathon.  My time may not have been as great, but I was not getting old at 30.  I got up at 4am on my 30th birthday to run a freaking half marathon! I completely assume to feel the same way as I come upon the end of my next half marathon (which I am currently training for, though I haven't actually picked a target race yet, lol!)

No comments:

Post a Comment