Welcome! This Blog is run by two amazing lady runners who don't fit into a box.

Chrys:
I am a runner who does NOT fit into the stereotypical body type of a runner. I have hips, a bum, thighs, and breasts. I jiggle all over the place no matter how much spandex I put on, and my gut usually hangs over my shorts. I work in the mental health field, and have a passion for inciting outrage regarding the media's portrayal of women, their bodies, and their abilities. I am a beautiful woman who sometimes struggles to remember it. I am a runner who sometimes feels more like a slogger.

And

Rachel:
I have the spirit of a runner inside me that just won't let me quit- no matter how much I sometimes would like to! Physically, I certainly have many of the things Chrys mentions up there- hips, thighs, bum, boobs, tummy, all of it- and Lord knows all of it likes to jiggle around while I do just about anything, especially running! I am passionate about body image, the Health at Every Size & Size Acceptance movements, and love finding inspiration in as many places as possible. Working as a therapist, one of my personal goals is to live as in-line with my values as I possibly can- this blog is one of the ways I figure all that out.

Join us on out adventures in running and ramblings on Body Image.

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Why I Run: The Feeding

Oatmeal Comic Response Part II: The Feeding

So yes.  I DO know runners that are like the first panel.  Who LOVE leafy greens and tofu and chia seeds and green weird smoothies.  I am not one of them.  I am ok with many of those things.  But I also love me a good juicy steak.  I am always up for Taco Bell or for Mexican food.  I don't keep cookies or chocolate in my house as a general rule because I WILL EAT IT ALL.  I ALWAYS want cheese and/or cheese dip. I would probably dip cheese in cheese dip if I thought it would work.  nomnomnomnom.

I love that this person comes out as an "I run to eat" sort of person.  I am TOTALLY a "reward myself with food after a run" sort of person.  I am aware that this is not a super healthy way of thinking about food.  I am also aware that I am in a place in my life where I can do that safely.  I might say "you know, I really want desert, but I have been slacking on my runs.  I probably shouldn't."  But if I have a super mad crazy craving, I will listen to my body.  If there is a celebration, a special occasion, etc, I will certainly partake.  If I have a long run, though, I will also totally reward myself with food.

What I find amusing, however, is that my diet IS affected by my running.  I find I drink less beer and eat less ultra-processed, high-fat, high-salt, fried food when I am running, because I know it will affect my run the next day.  I don't want that all sitting in my stomach as I try to slog out 5 miles plus (which I WILL get back to one day! I am actually planning a 5 mile run today!)  I am less likely to go out (which often means over-eating and drinking beer), on a Friday, because I have to get up to run on Saturday.  I am more likely to eat lean proteins to fuel my run.  I am more likely to eat granola, nuts, or cliff bars because that is what makes sense to have between work and a run.

My sister is a different story.  She has a favorite type of tofu, I am sure.  She has about a million different kale soup and spinach smoothie recipes, I am sure. I am NOT like that.  I will NEVER be like that.  I am TOTALLY okay with that.  This does NOT make me less of a "real" runner.  WTG on dispelling that myth, Oatmeal!

No comments:

Post a Comment