Welcome! This Blog is run by two amazing lady runners who don't fit into a box.

Chrys:
I am a runner who does NOT fit into the stereotypical body type of a runner. I have hips, a bum, thighs, and breasts. I jiggle all over the place no matter how much spandex I put on, and my gut usually hangs over my shorts. I work in the mental health field, and have a passion for inciting outrage regarding the media's portrayal of women, their bodies, and their abilities. I am a beautiful woman who sometimes struggles to remember it. I am a runner who sometimes feels more like a slogger.

And

Rachel:
I have the spirit of a runner inside me that just won't let me quit- no matter how much I sometimes would like to! Physically, I certainly have many of the things Chrys mentions up there- hips, thighs, bum, boobs, tummy, all of it- and Lord knows all of it likes to jiggle around while I do just about anything, especially running! I am passionate about body image, the Health at Every Size & Size Acceptance movements, and love finding inspiration in as many places as possible. Working as a therapist, one of my personal goals is to live as in-line with my values as I possibly can- this blog is one of the ways I figure all that out.

Join us on out adventures in running and ramblings on Body Image.

Friday, September 2, 2011

Too Pretty to do Homework

My friends, being my friends, often know the sorts of things that I like to get pissed off about, and last night they surely delivered. My good friend Arielle sent me this link last night, and then I saw some other people had posted about it on facebook this morning.

The link and the posts were about this shirt, which came to us thanks to JC Penny:



Now. This didn’t piss me off nearly as much as Urban Outfitters did back in the day…. But I am still pretty appalled. First I should say that J.C. Penny DID do a good job by listening to consumers and listening to consumers quickly. They took the shirt off the shelves rather quickly, and issued an apology statement (or, as close to an apology that you will get from a large retail company.) But I am still appalled that this shirt made it to the racks in the first place.

Let’s think about the messages that this shirt sends.

1. Pretty girls don’t have to do homework
2. Because homework is lame.
3. Boys are good to use for completion of lame tasks. Like homework.
4. Boys are good at school.
5. Because ugly girls are not pretty, they have to do lame tasks
6. Like homework. Ugly girls do homework.
7. So smart girls are ugly.
8. Being pretty is way more important than school.
9. Who really cares about school anyhow?
10. Being interested in school is lame
11. Or at least being interested in school is for boys.

Seriously? Is there no mother or father of a young girl in whatever department of J.C. Penny chooses what they will carry in their stores? Did they not think about what sort of message this is giving a young girl aged 7-14?

End Rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment