Welcome! This Blog is run by two amazing lady runners who don't fit into a box.

Chrys:
I am a runner who does NOT fit into the stereotypical body type of a runner. I have hips, a bum, thighs, and breasts. I jiggle all over the place no matter how much spandex I put on, and my gut usually hangs over my shorts. I work in the mental health field, and have a passion for inciting outrage regarding the media's portrayal of women, their bodies, and their abilities. I am a beautiful woman who sometimes struggles to remember it. I am a runner who sometimes feels more like a slogger.

And

Rachel:
I have the spirit of a runner inside me that just won't let me quit- no matter how much I sometimes would like to! Physically, I certainly have many of the things Chrys mentions up there- hips, thighs, bum, boobs, tummy, all of it- and Lord knows all of it likes to jiggle around while I do just about anything, especially running! I am passionate about body image, the Health at Every Size & Size Acceptance movements, and love finding inspiration in as many places as possible. Working as a therapist, one of my personal goals is to live as in-line with my values as I possibly can- this blog is one of the ways I figure all that out.

Join us on out adventures in running and ramblings on Body Image.

Sunday, May 31, 2015

You are smart. Your plans are solid.

Today, I was reminded of the importance of preparation when doing a “long run.”  For me, a long run is currently anything more than about 5 miles.  What is considered a “long run” is certainly VERY different for each individual.  Today, my plan was for 10-12 miles.

I started off my run SUPER well prepared.  I have been struggling with the humidity that living in Louisiana during rainy season brings, so I had frozen two bottles of water overnight, and set them out on the front porch as I started, with plans to loop back around mile 5-6 for a water break and to re-fill my fuel belt.  I then planned to swing back by the house around mile 10 for another water break/refill and either take the dog for a walk or take her with me to finish my last two miles, depending on how I was holding up. 

I did really good with my usual pre-run preparation.  I had a protein bar, and gave it about an hour to digest before getting started.  During that time I drank an energy drink (my current normal morning routine whether I am running or not, since it’s just too warm for coffee!), and I even remembered to take my inhaler well before setting out, giving it it’s optimal 30 min to get to work before I started challenging my lungs. 

I was all set!

I should have stuck to my plan! Around mile 2.5-3, I decided I could keep going on, as I had only JUST tapped into the second of my three water bottles on my fuel belt.  Around mile 4, I decided that I should just go ahead turn around at mile 5ish.  I would get to turn around at one of my favorite turn around points, and I would get home just in time to take the dog out.  Perfect, right?!?!  Well… it WOULD have been, if I didn’t run out of water around mile 6 (remember?  Right around when I would have been stopping home for a refill?) and had just turned around not too long ago.  By mile 7, I knew I wasn’t going to make it to 10 miles without water, and cut my route short to head home.  Around mile 7.5 (2 hours in), I realized I never used any of my honey gels.  I usually take them around 45-60 min in, and then every 45 min or so from there. 

Wait a sec.  So I am battling the heat, out of water, and on mile 7 having only had a protein bar for fuel?!?!  Yup.  I am that smart. 

So, here I am, having done 8.25 miles instead of 10-12, having not walked the dog, and feeling silly for not having prepared.  Let this be a lesson to us all (and hopefully mostly to me! I do tend to learn things the hard way…. Several times over.) 


Be prepared! Stick to your plan!  It is always ok to deviate from a plan, especially if you are having an extra difficult time, facing the possibility of injury, or other such things, but you are probably a pretty smart person, and your plan is probably pretty solid.  It is there for a reason.  Try to follow it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment